Smart Math – Android App CS619 Final Project Fall 2018
Smart Math – Android App
Project Domain / Category
Math is one of the hardest subjects in educational institutes, which is why owning a scientific calculator seems like a necessity for students. But what if one could use smartphone to solve equations by pointing camera at the problem in textbook instead of using a calculator? That is the basic idea behind a Math solving smart phone app.
Smart Math is an Android based mobile application that can read and solve mathematical expressions using smartphone camera in real time. It provides a step-by-step guide showing how each of the problems is solved, which is beneficial to students that do not have access to a tutor or struggle with solving math problems. Parents, as well, can use this app to jog their memory when teaching math to their kids.
The functional requirements are as follows;
- Completely offline app, i.e. no Internet Connection needed.
- The app should provide solution to Math problems on basis of following three modes;
- Camera Mode:Point camera towards a Math problem and show the result instantly.
- Photo Mode:Browse a photo from SD Card, fetch expression and solve it.
- Written Mode: Write expression in an editing text field (e. Text View / Text Area) and evaluate it.
- It can solve simple as well as complex Math problems, like;Arithmetic, Integers, Fractions, Decimal Numbers, Roots, Algebraic Expressions, Linear&Quadratic Equations, Derivatives and Integrals etc.
- It should provide complete step-by-step explanation to solutions.
- Calculation history should be maintained by storing all problems along with their solutions in internal database (e. SQLite);
- The app should display all history (i.e. saved problems &solutions)in ascending or descending order on the basis of their titles or created dates.
- User should be able toadd custom title/note to any savedrecord.
- User should be fascinated by givingbasic features likesearch, copy, edit, deleteand share problems and their solutions.
- The app should be customizable by changing syntax style, text colour and font size etc.
- Permissionsfor accessing device camera and read/write SD Card contents should be granted at appropriate actions.
Note: This project requires proper understanding of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technique and its implementations.For more about OCR, visit;
- IDE: Android Studio
- Programming language: Java
- Database: SQLite
Name:Muhammad Imran Afzal