Online Help, Guidance and Solutions for Virtual University of Pakistan Students
Digital Wall Clock with Temperature Sensor using Arduino Kit CS619 Final Project Fall 2018
Domain: Digital Logic Design
1. Digital Wall Clock with Temperature Sensor using
Project Domain / Category:
Digital Logic Designing / Embedded System Programming
Abstract / Introduction:
A digital clock is a type of clock that displays the time digitally (i.e. in numerals or other
symbols), as opposed to an analog clock. To represent the time, most digital clocks use 7-
segment displays. As the name indicates, each 7-segment display consists of seven LEDs
(segment). Each segment is independent and when illuminated as a group with other 7-segment
displays, forms part of a numerical digit (both Decimal and Hex) to be displayed.
In this project, we are going to design a digital wall clock using 7-segment displays to represent
time as well as the room temperature. However, to display the digit, we will be designing each of
the 7-segment display by own instead of taking the industry manufactured 7-segment displays as
shown in the figure below:
• The clock will display the current time in HH:MM AM/PM format.
• The clock must be able to display time in any format (12-hour or 24-hour format). To
change the displayed time format, a toggle button will be used.
• The clock will display the room temperature in either Celsius (⁰c) and Fahrenheit (⁰F)
scale. To change the temperature display format, a toggle button will be used.
• The clock will be equipped with a numeric keypad and control buttons to allow the user
to change/update time.
• This will be a DC-powered digital wall clock which will be operated using a rechargeable
battery and a DC charger.
Tools and Equipment:
• Any Microcontrollers OR Arduino kit
• C/C++ Programming Language
• Assembly Language
• Circuit Designing Software’s (OrCAD Spice, Workbench)
• Keil Embedded Development Kit
• Microcontroller Burner Kit
• Circuit Components (LEDs, Resistors, Capacitors, oscillators etc.)
• Temperature Sensor
• Rechargeable battery, Charging adapter
• This project requires deep knowledge related to Digital Logic Designing, Circuit theory
and Microcontroller programming. Without these skills, you will not be able to complete
this project successfully.
• The project must be provided in presentable form.
• The project must be designed by the student himself/herself.
• In case of any customization desired by the user in the project, the student must consult
the supervisor first to seek the permission.
Name: Waqar Ahmad
Email ID: Waqar.firstname.lastname@example.org
Skype ID: engr.waqar.ahmad
Note: Virtual University of Pakistan will not provide any kind of hardware for this project;
student has to arrange the required hardware by himself/herself.